Thursday, October 20, 2005

Law abiding, don't assume otherwise

Secret codes printed by our color printers?

While I'm all for preventing counterfeiting, I am really disturbed that every piece of paper coming out of my color printer has a printed message with the serial number and date. The people at Xerox, Adobe, and HP who write printer drivers have known about this, clearly were asked by the government to include this protocol, but where's the transparency of process?

I am so appalled I scarcely know where to begin. I think one aspect you can't ignore is that a mountain of people have known about this for at least 10 years, and it's just now coming out. I'm told that a conspiracy is difficult to keep quiet when there are many people involved... but here's an example of something invasive, kept quiet for a long time.

No comments: