Saturday, August 07, 2004

I made "Art."


Actually, I made a pair of signs that say "Alameda Art Center," but I paused in the middle of making this one to snap this picture. Should any of the people on the committees or review boards or those who actually pay the bill for the work stop by here and see this entry, let me say this: congratulations on sticking through the whole process through the last months. You all made sure that the ugly gray building at 1701 Wesbster got repainted to be very nice visual asset on the street. As you continue to apply the same diligence to projects which might involve actual architecture, design, and building, Webster Street will be transformed into our new Main Street.

If you're not one of those people, I have a different message: if you are part of a large civic project, do your absolute best to set expectations early in the project. revisit them, and remind people that they agreed to these. If at all possible, have each committee involved elect a representative with the full decision making power of the body they represent, and then also make sure you identify who is going to feel left out and send that person regular updates.

And probably the greatest thing you can do to make your project go well is to find champions. Have a champion at City Hall, one in construction, and one in the regular population (or part of your membership). They will keep things moving forward when you are all used up.

I AM 36% TORTURED ARTIST!
36% TORTURED ARTIST
I have some artistic ability, but it is probably a hobby and doesn't drive my life into a dark abysmal hole were I am alone and against the world.

No comments: