Saturday, June 26, 2004

Finished sign for C'era Una Volta



Alameda is undergoing a retail renaissance (of sorts). It's been about 6 years since the Navy closed, and so there were a couple years of folks hanging on, then a couple years of folks casting about, and now finally the start of people moving back into the vacant spaces.

Hopefully selling the kinds of things we Alamedans want to purchase.

C'era Una Volta is owned and run by three delightful people. I hope they do very well. There are art showings, the food is delicious (it's Tuscan) and they know absolutely which wine goes with your meal. I'm learning to charge what I'm worth, so I'll be able to eat there, more!

Every job has an arc, and with this client, the theme was "recoverable detours." One example is the full-color print I used as a background for the sign had the green and the blue and the light yellow just perfect, but the output house turned the golden yellow into lime yellow.

The print operator told me he can only match one color on a full color job, which is in reality a statement of his skill level rather than an actual device limitation (when I trained digital print operators, I taught them how to match colors across an entire print).

So I airbrushed a yellow/magenta cast over the lime and turned it the right color. The color bar in the middle of the picture shows before and after.

The blade sign is a lightweight wood, plastic and aluminum box, with dimensional letters. It's beautiful, and although it looks small, it works well in the pedestrian traffic area.

No comments: